10 Interesting And Random Facts About The Human Body
2. Having less than 15 degrees of flexion at the ankle will cause a persons feet to turn out when they walk
3. Your body will store 4 grams of water for every gram of glycogen (from carbohydrates) stored. Hence why you can gain weight overnight after a carb binge, it is mostly water weight!
4. The foods you are most addicted to are most likely the ones you are intolerant to e.g. if you cannot get enough of biscuits you are probably intolerant to gluten. If you cannot live without cheese you may be intolerant to dairy. To test, abstain for one to two weeks then eat a lot of the food in question at one time. If you have a bad reaction (e.g. headaches, fatigue, cold like symptoms) you are intolerant!
5. The strong smell of urine after eating asparagus is due to an amino acid called L-asparagine
6. Our kneecaps did not develop and harden until after approximately 2 years of age
7. We all have a number of cancerous tumours growing in our bodies at this moment, but our immune system destroys them before they can grow any larger and become a real danger to our health
8. 80% of gym goers have an injury in the first 6 – 8 weeks. 65% of free-weight related injuries are due to the weights or equipment falling on the person
9. If you connected all the veins, capillaries and arteries in an average adult end to end, it would be around 100,000 kilometres long – almost a third of the way to the moon
10. The heart is the first fully functioning organ in a foetus
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles/ FreeDigitalPhotos.net